This post is inspired by one of my best friends, whom has recently cut loose an anchor.
I find it incredible how much people (myself included) are willing to put up with when it comes to certain people. I think everyone has that one person in their life that they’ll put up with more crap from, accept the rudeness, or just let them bring you down.
It’s fair, in my opinion, to divide people into one of two categories: Sails and Anchors.
Obviously excuse the ship analogy; however I think it’s more of an appropriate way of describing people than ‘radiators’ and ‘drains’ etc.
Sails allow you to move forward, add more value to you and keep you on track on the journey that is your life. Anchors weigh you down, refuse to let you move on and progress and generally hinder you. How many people, (friends, partners, acquaintances) in your life would you categorise as each of those?
Half the time, people don’t realise how much of an anchor someone is: they care deeply for the person and are willing to go above and beyond for them, with very little in return.
So how would you identify an anchor?
If the answer is yes to more than two of the following, chances are, they’re an anchor:
- You’re always the one putting in all the effort
- Something they do manages to make your day that little bit worse, no matter how good it was before
- They are inconsiderate and fail to see how their actions affect you
- You always feel a bit nervous or apprehensive before meeting them (and not in a good way)
- They don’t like you having other friends/seeing other people if you’re single
- They get annoyed at you unreasonably when you don’t respond to their messages/texts/calls right away OR they’re rude and don’t reply to your messages/texts/calls at all
- You worry too much about what they think of you
Friendships and relationships are a two way street and there is no excuse for rudeness, disrespect, holding you back or making you unhappy.
Cut the anchors loose.
We only live once, and someone who doesn’t treat you with respect, or help you progress in the right direction in your life, really isn’t worth wasting your time on.